Every motorcyclist knows the feeling of darting down the road with nothing between you and the highway but your bike.
However, having nothing but your bike between you and the highway adds to the potential for injury if you wreck.
There are over 88,000 people injured in motorcycle accidents each year.
Motorcycle accident victims are often left with painful and sometimes debilitating injuries from road rash to traumatic brain injury.
These injuries lead to substantial medical expenses and damage to the motorcycle.
Fortunately, personal injury law requires insurance companies to honor their policies regarding these kinds of crashes.
However, it can still be difficult for many accident victims to get the money they need from the at-fault driver’s insurance company to cover their losses after a motorcycle crash.
Insurance companies always try to pay as little as they can.
That, along with a few other reasons, is why it’s crucial to work with a motorcycle accident lawyer from the beginning.
We’ll dive deeper in the article below.
- Common Causes Of Motorcycle Accidents
- What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident
- Why You Need A Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Contact an Attorney as Soon as Possible
- Always Hire a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Common Causes Of Motorcycle Accidents
Several factors can lead to motorcycle wrecks.
Everything from adverse weather conditions to rider experience to the drivers of other motor vehicles.
The most serious collisions will include a combination of these issues.
Here are a few common causes of motorcycle accidents, all that could result in severe injury:
- Dooring accidents
- Intoxication or dangerous driving
- Sideswipes or rear-end accidents
- Failure to yield during lane changing, lane splitting, or merging
- Lack of visibility
- Loss of control of the bike
- Skidding or low-side crashes
- Sudden stops and breaking resulting in high-side crashes
- Group accidents
- Poor road conditions
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident
The steps you take after a motorcycle accident will play a role in how much you can receive in your motorcycle accident injury claim.
You should and shouldn’t do certain things to protect your right to fair compensation.
An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer will collect evidence, identify the at-fault party, and file your injury claim within your state’s statutes of limitations.
Partnering with a lawyer from the beginning will increase your odds of receiving maximum compensation.
- Move To Safety. Remain at the accident scene, but make sure you move to a safe space. Check yourself and others involved in the wreck for injuries.
- Move Your Motorcycle. Move your motorcycle off of the road to prevent further collisions if you can.
- Call Emergency Responders. Report your motorcycle accident to the police and get emergency services to the scene. An officer will provide you with a police report, and EMS can begin medical treatment at the scene. All accidents that cause injuries, more than $1,000 in property damage, or wrongful death have to be reported to the police.
- Exchange Information. Swap personal information with the other driver, as well as the name of his or her insurance company. Don’t admit fault for the motorcycle crash. This includes saying sorry.
- Gather Information. Collect information about your motorcycle accident to show a personal injury lawyer. This can include copies of your medical records and police reports.
- Take Photos At The Scene. Take clear pictures of the damage to your motorcycle, the scene of the wreck, any road hazards, the weather conditions, and other important features, if possible.
- Seek Emergency Medical Care. Once you’re able to do so, and if you don’t leave in an ambulance, go directly to a motorcycle accident doctor or the hospital, especially if you may have a catastrophic injury. Prompt injury treatment will help you make a complete recovery, and it looks good to your insurance adjuster.
- Report Your Crash To Your Insurance Company. Contact your insurance company and the insurance company of the party you believe caused the motorcycle accident. File a report right away, ideally within 24 hours of the crash. You can do so with the help of an experienced attorney.
- Go To All Follow Up Appointments. Your insurance company will make sure you follow your treatment plan. If you don’t, they’ll use it as evidence to claim your injuries weren’t as serious as you claim.
- Contact A Personal Injury Attorney. Before speaking to a claims adjuster after your motorcycle wreck, consult with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney. A motorcycle accident lawyer will help you understand your rights.
The insurance company that hears your claim for compensation doesn’t want to maximize your financial recovery.
An insurance claims adjuster will try to convince you to settle for less than you deserve to optimize their company’s profitability.
Hiring an attorney to handle your personal injury lawsuit will allow a professional to negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.
An attorney will not allow you to accept a lowball settlement offer.
Why You Need A Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
You Have Severe Injuries
If you have serious injuries, you need to have a lawyer on your side.
The first thing you do after all traffic accidents is to seek medical care.
Medical care will help ensure that you don’t accidentally worsen your injuries or cause your quality of life to decline.
It will also provide vital evidence that can help you with your claim.
Your attorney will help you document your injuries so you can be sure your medical bills are covered in your motorcycle accident lawsuit.
Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Will Stand Up To Insurance Companies
Without proper legal representation, you could quickly lose out on the money you deserve in your injury claim.
The legal process after a motorcycle crash is filled with confusing jargon and frustrating paperwork that can make your head spin, especially if you’re recovering from injuries.
Insurance companies also have aggressive lawyers standing by to settle their cases for cheap.
With medical costs and lost wages piling up, your attorney will work to get you a fair settlement for your motorcycle injury.
When dealing with insurance companies, never do the following without the guidance of a lawyer:
- Sign Documents – Signing anything after your crash can endanger your chance to recover money for your injuries. Speak to an attorney before you sign anything.
- Be recorded – Your insurance will want a recorded statement from you for “accuracy purposes.” However, they will try to use it against you later. Just tell them no, and then reach out to an injury attorney.
- Hesitate – Evidence can disappear quickly after a motorcycle accident. Lacking evidence can make your case harder to prove.
Your Attorney Will Answer All Of Your Questions
If you have questions about your motorcycle accident claim, you can contact an attorney to have them answered.
Your attorney will provide solid legal advice about what to expect after motor vehicle accidents and the claims process.
They’ll be able to tell you how much compensation you should expect to receive based on the circumstances of your accident and the extent of your injuries.
Motorcycle accident injury attorneys will provide a free consultation to help you better understand the claims process and determine whether or not they can assist with your case.
You’ve Suffered Permanent Injuries
If you’ve suffered permanent injuries or catastrophic injuries as a result of your motorcycle accident, you’ll need the help of a lawyer.
Motorcycle accidents can lead to injuries that cause permanent damage and lifelong disability.
If you suffer injuries like amputation, paralysis, or traumatic brain injury, you will face challenges related to your motorcycle accident for the rest of your life.
These injuries limit your enjoyment of life and can prevent you from returning to work in your former capacity, if at all.
Many catastrophic injury victims struggle to move forward with their life and need additional financial assistance for permanent modifications to their home or your vehicle.
A seasoned attorney can help you seek the compensation you need and deserve, rather than settling for your insurance coverage limits and missing out on potential compensation.
Contact an Attorney as Soon as Possible
Each state has its own statute of limitations to file a personal injury claim.
It doesn’t matter if you drove the motorcycle, rode on the bike, or suffered injuries as a pedestrian.
You have a limited amount of time, usually two years, to begin the process of filing your claim.
That may seem like a lot of time, but you should start the process immediately after your accident.
The sooner you start the claims process, the better your odds of a successful resolution.
Contacting a successful motorcycle accident attorney early makes it easier to accomplish several tasks.
Always Hire a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer is always in your best interest.
They will advise you about what course of action is in your best interest and do a lot of the heavy lifting, so you don’t have to worry about medical bills and other damages.
And don’t worry about not being able to afford a personal injury lawyer.
Almost all injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning they get paid out of your settlement.
That means you don’t pay unless your lawyer wins your case.
Schuerger Shunnarah Personal Injury Attorneys represent all 50 states nationwide.
No matter where you are, we’ll fight for you.
Our experienced team of attorneys are knowledgeable about the complications motorcycle accidents can cause, and we’ll work hard to get you the appropriate compensation you deserve.
Click the button below for your Free Consultation.