- aggressive drivers, unrealistic/illegally long schedules
- failure to inspect parts, tailgating, driver fatigue, boredom
- cell phone usage, failure to use blind spot mirrors
- jackknifing and speeding, to name a few
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of earnings
- Future loss of earnings
- Future medical bills
Big Rig Trucking Accident Mistakes
To make sure you are made whole after a big rig accident, you must avoid 7 major mistakes.
1. Not taking immediate action to preserve evidence to protect your rights: Trucking companies can delete all information that would be relevant to your case as soon as 14 days after the incident!
2. Not documenting everything that happens after the accident occurs: It’s not what actually happened but only what you can prove happened.
3. Not seeing your doctor or not cooperating completely with your doctors: See a doctor immediately after the accident, even if you don’t feel pain (just because you don’t feel it immediately, doesn’t mean you aren’t injured!).
4. Giving statements, signing papers or accepting insurance company estimates without first getting legal advice: No matter how sympathetic and kind someone can seem, they may have ulterior motives. There is also a lot of confusing, tedious and complicated paperwork involved in an accident. Let us help you decipher it!
5. Not hiring a lawyer, or hiring the wrong lawyer: Lawyers are necessary to “level the playing field” and ensure that you receive maximum compensation for your injuries.
6. Not being honest with your lawyer, or failing to cooperate with your lawyer: The more information your lawyer has, the more he or she can help you. The insurance company will have access to all information including past injuries, accidents or any legal issues. You must be forthcoming with your lawyer, so he or she is armed with the right information to fight for you!
7. Exaggerating your injuries or not being completely honest in other ways: Even a tiny lie can kill your case. ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH.
Please remember that Schuerger Shunnarah Personal Injury Attorneys is also available to answer any questions you have – big rig-related or not! Even if we can’t help you, we can send you to someone who can.